Veterinary Pet Insurance Co. (VPI), the US’ oldest and largest provider of pet health insurance, chose 12 nominees for the honour – all selected from claims filed by clients. More than 3000 people voted online to pick the winner.
Ellie lives in Santee, California, and the beehive was just the latest in a long line of items she has consumed in her young life – from wooden toy train tracks to laptop computer keys.
On top of the hive, and its thousands of inhabitants, Ellie also consumed pesticide – for the hive had recently been sprayed. On the plus side, that meant the bees she consumed were already dead. On the down side, the pesticide made her upset stomach even worse. She made a full recovery.
I didn’t know this Award even existed till I read this story. The story in the Daily Telegraph is a very funny read, the things that dogs swallow is beyond belief. We have been very lucky in that department, although the dog we have now (Australian Cattle Dog) has come pretty close, especially when she was a pup, but she never actually got as far as swallowing something foreign. I think that was more luck than anything else.